Arguably just as popular in the United States as it is in the Middle East, falafel is a flavorful patty made from crushed chickpeas, herbs, and spices. Delicious in everything from salads to pita pockets, falafel is versatile and rich in protein and fiber – meaning that it has a place in your healthy diet!
While you could shell out the big bucks for freshly prepared or frozen falafel patties, it’s very easy to make the dish at home. Check out this simple, budget-friendly recipe and you’ll soon be making falafel every chance you get!
• 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas
• 1/4 red onion
• 1 handful fresh parsley (about 1/4 bunch)
• 1 handful fresh cilantro (about 1/4 bunch)
• 4 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup chickpea or all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil for frying
1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas in a colander. Add the chickpeas to a food processor along with the red onion, parsley, cilantro, salt, cayenne, garlic, and cumin. Process the mixture until it forms a chunky paste.
2. Place the mixture into a bowl and stir in the baking powder. Begin adding flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the mixture becomes cohesive enough to form into patties. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.
3. Using a small measuring cup or scoop (about 2 tablespoons), form the falafel dough into small patties. If freezing the patties for later, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet so they can freeze without sticking together. The patties can be transferred to an air-tight container or freezer bag for long-term storage once they have frozen through.
4. To cook the fresh or frozen patties, heat oil in a skillet (or pot if deep frying) until very hot and shimmering, but not smoking. Cook the patties on each side until deep golden brown and crispy. Serve with tzatziki, tahini, hummus, or stuffed into a pita.
Coming up with new meal ideas can be a challenge. Luckily, The Park at Forest Hill Apartments in Memphis, Tennessee makes it simple by presenting deliciously realistic options, such as this one!